Second Skin Audio

Difference in birch?

Jessica

i see some members suggesting using birch plywood for enclosures, i've always used mdf. i talked to the local lumber yard and they told me the only difference in birch plywood and regular plywood is the last layer, which doubles the cost btw.He also said what the plywood is made up of as far as composition and glues, varies by manufacturer a bit. So maybe i am uniformed here. Are you guys talking about something else? I am going to be building a new enclosure soon so i would like to get this figured out. Thanks.

There is different grades of plywood as well as types.

First is the type, You have a birch veneer which is a thin skin of birch on the outside with other lesser dense, and cheaper will filler in the middle. And within the type, you will have a few grades for the application used. Typically this stuff is used in cabinet making and is 5 ply ( 5 layers). This makes for a poor box building material

The other type is a Birch ply which is a solid birch material. Typically 13-18 layers depending on thickness. The wood is much more dense and makes a good material to build a box with.

Price wise, the veneer, is only a couple bucks less then the solid at a quality lumber yard. You can often find it in 4x8 AND 5x5 sheets.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

If you get the Russian Baltic Birch 13ply it is just alittle lighter that MDF. Not a huge difference but lighter. The 5 ply Birch at Home Depot is much much ighter than MDF

2012 F250 Lariat 6.7, lifted on 22's and 35's

4 DSS Ethos 18's walled tuned low

2 Ampere Audio 7500.1's, Ampere 125.4

Rockford Pro Audio front stage

9 batteries, Mechman Elite 370 alt

Team DSS, Team Ampere Audio

2014 Meca Mod 3 TN State champ / 3rd place Mod 3 World Finals

32d73d87-e373-4a49-8914-d25decfa6dcc_zps

Thanks for clearing that up, I got some "birch" from home depot and lucily he cut thm ALL too short, lolz, kinda $45 wasted..

Pontiac Grand Prix GT
400a Mean Machine alt.

EIGHT DD 12''s on a DDz2
DD vo 8''s,6''s,5.25''s&tweets
Norfolk, VA
http://www.youtube.c...ser/ovnorfolkva
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSPLSpot/473815915987218/?notif_t=group_activity#!/chrishova
http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1[/color]

Archived