Sonic Electronix

alright, so maybe this is a stupid question, but maybe not, but definately a noob question....so im wondering, why do you get a different ohm load, say im running 3 JL Audio 10w1v2s....why do i need an amp that is 1ohm stable....what makes it that way? plz help me out, like i said i know this is probably a stupid question.

J.A.M AUDIO

Owner

North Texas

Authorized DC Sound Lab Dealers

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpg

groundpounders-sig-1.jpg

You get a different ohm load because when you connect your subs in parallel your basically adding the thicknesses of all the voice coils together which allows more current flow through therefore lowering the resistance.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P4050UB

Subs: 2 Pioneer Premier 12" ts-w3004spls

Sub box: 3.2ft3 tuned to 35hz

Sub Amp: SoundMagus DK 1800

Speaker Amp: Rockford Fosgate 200a4 Bridged to fronts

Front Speakers: DLS MS5A components

2 gauge power & ground

141s19i.jpg

alright, so maybe this is a stupid question, but maybe not, but definately a noob question....so im wondering, why do you get a different ohm load, say im running 3 JL Audio 10w1v2s....why do i need an amp that is 1ohm stable....what makes it that way? plz help me out, like i said i know this is probably a stupid question.

it depends on what impedence the sub are and how you wire them up but you want a amps lowest impedence load to match the speakers 1ohm to 1ohm but if you have a weird impedence like a 1.2ohm the amp needs to be a lower ohm amp 1 ohm.

smdsig2.jpg

it depends on what impedence the sub are and how you wire them up but you want a amps lowest impedence load to match the speakers 1ohm to 1ohm but if you have a weird impedence like a 1.2ohm the amp needs to be a lower ohm amp 1 ohm.

you dont want to match them up 1 ohm to 1 ohm, being a DVC sub at least (if it was a single voice coil...it'd be ok because there'd be only one way to wire it up...but most subs are dual voice coil). wiring a DVC 1 ohm sub in parallel will give the amp a .5 ohm load, and in series would give it a 2 ohm load. so the amp cant see that 1 ohm. plus...most amps arent .5 ohm stable. if you're going to wire a sub to give the amp a 1 ohm load, you're going to need a 2 ohm model sub, and wire it in parallel.

and with 3 subs...you CAN wire them with 1 amp... but the impedence will be an odd number. example...depending on how you wire it, the amp may see a 1.33333 ohm load, which since there isnt an amp that is stable at that load (either 1 ohm stable or 2 ohms in most cases), you're going to need an amp that can handle that low of a resistance, which is why you'd want that 1 ohm stable amp.

but if it were me, i'd either get 1 amp and cut down to 2 subs, get another sub, and get 1 big amp to handle all 4, or 2 amps and have each amp handle a pair, or i'd get a separate amp for all 3 subs. i say this just because the wiring and ohm loads would be funky and be such an odd number. i like to keep it simple if all possible.

Archived