Second Skin Audio

Subwoofers-Do they need to be broken in?

YukonDCXL

I think Show Time SPL did a video on "break in" but im not sure.

All I know is that over time the suspention of a driver will eventaully change a little bit, regardless of how loud it is played brand new.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

I think Show Time SPL did a video on "break in" but im not sure.

All I know is that over time the suspention of a driver will eventaully change a little bit, regardless of how loud it is played brand new.

That is called loosening up. It will actually change your impedance/nominal load a bit. Some notice a bit of a gain/amp makes a bit more power in fact.

Breaking in, is for sub builders to cover their asses.

• 2 weeks later...

I always give my sub more time to get loose for at least few days and then let it pound.

which essentially means you don't break them in for a few days, then you start breaking them in.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

When I first got into audio I got a pioneer 12 and built a box according to specs by pioneer and it sucked. I wired it up and was dissapointed. Called the shop and they told me to let it break in before I passed judgment. Well I pounded on it and over time it started to hit harder and such. You could push on it and feel a difference in the suspension. Like others have said, pound on it, it will sound better sooner. Break in means, don't be mad yet let it break in. On a side note, during this period you might refrain from really overpowering it and be really careful not to clip that signal. Once broken in you can start to be more daring with amount of power, still shouldn't clip though

Archived