Second Skin Audio

Science behind Infinite Baffle sub boxes and how to build one?

dylan117

So i have a few questions... I was looking to do an infinite baffle box, so are there certain types of subs to use?

I was thinking about a Stereo integrity HT 15 or 18

My other choices were either and FI IB3 or the DC XL18" i already have

Another question do DC woofers work well in Infinite baffle?

I really want some response below 20hz im not talking about 5hz or anything but just like 12-15hz

So.... What are Infinite baffle boxes and whats the science behind them?

An infinite baffle box is an enclosure that's so large it doesn't provide any acoustic support to the driver. All it does is contain the back wave coming off the rear of the driver. With a sealed box the air inside the box acts as a spring to control cone movement. IB boxes are so big this doesn't happen. The advantage is you get more sound and really low frequencies. The disadvantage is the box has to be huge and you can exceed the excursion limits of your drivers really easily.

Not just any driver can be used in an IB system. They pretty much have to be specifically designed for it. IB drivers will have a really high QTS (>.6 and often more).

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I would go with the fi myself. There are a couple things you want to look for like TA mentioned. A sub with a low Fs and plenty of xmax too. Also cone area is king in infinite baffle. I have three 18 IB in my Malibu. When you go to build a baffle make sure you have multiple attach points to the car and your baffle is as sturdy as possible. Any small holes or gaps can give you group delay issues, making the bass sound like it is delayed. Once you do it right though it can be the most effortless and musical bass you have ever heard. I set the ssf on my amp to 24 hz. It will play below twenty. 12-15 hz is a tall order. If we are talking about fundamentals in organ music and classical then I would say go for it but if we are talking chopped and screwed then I would go with something like a ported enclosure. You won't get the output your looking for otherwise.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

pics! videos?

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

Subs do not "need" to be designed for IB, and I definitely wouldn't call it an enclosure. The main gist is correct but everything else is just pure poppycock.

OP, feel free to Google as the science is out there easily enough. I would do the FI personally but what model DC XL? What vehicle?

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

so your just using your trunk as the box correct? i don't know why but i really like that! I'm gonna go do some research. i really think that might be my next build. guessing you just need to figure out the air space of the trunk, deadner the crap out of it and seal it.

i love lows the lower the better and from what i see that's what you get

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

so your just using your trunk as the box correct? i don't know why but i really like that! I'm gonna go do some research. i really think that might be my next build. guessing you just need to figure out the air space of the trunk, deadner the crap out of it and seal it.

i love lows the lower the better and from what i see that's what you get

Yeah the trunk is actually the enclosure. Some benefit by having them vent directly to the outside. Bow down on diyma had one just like that. Team HT was right on the wiggle room you have on choices. My subs are a good example. QTS of .47 and 11mm xmax.

Still this enclosure type isn't really for spl, not that you can't get loud ish with one. (140-145db) Deadening the trunk will help a lot. Mine is pretty quiet on the outside. I had to sacrifice the backseat to do the 18s though.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Archived