Sundown Audio

Judging an amp based on it's ratings

Krakin

I don't have anything positive or negative to say about them, but I just don't understand the big deal in an amp being over rated.

Let's say I build an amazing amplifier that puts out exactly 3,000w at 14.4v at 1 ohm. I then rate it at 3k and it does exactly what I say it does. Great!

Now let's say I rate it at 2k. It then gets tested by somebody and they get an "extra" 1,000 watts. I neither changed any hardware or the pricing. All of a sudden it seems that the amp is an amp crafted by the gods.

Now let's say that I rated the amp at 3.5k or 4k. Once again all the hardware stays the same and the price stays the same. However, now public opinion of the amp is that it is a piece of garbage. I will admit that I don't think that purposefully overrating a product is morel, but that is not the concern right now.

Not once in any of the scenarios did anything other than a number made up for marketing change. However the public view of the amp drastically changes. Why?

The amp is going to do what it is going to do. No matter what the number on the piece of paper says it is marketed to do.

I guess the point of my rant is that people should judge an amp more drastically on how it performs in quality, reliability, and other important aspects rather than put it on a pedestal for doing more than a set number.

And once again disregard morality in all situations. This is a purely emotionless fact based opinion I have.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Another aspect to consider is what happens to the person that doesn't know that the under rated amplifier is under rated so much?

They then hook up and amplifier that does 50% more power than it was quoted to do. Now think about what happens when you send more power than a sub can take because you were told the amp did less?

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

I think people like to get more than what they pay for, but when you're spending four digits on an amplifier I don't understand what the hype is about because it should do the ratings.

I also think that some people forget that there are lots of different factors that will change the output of the amplifier, and I mean more than just the electrical supply.

...duty cycle and stuff like that.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Dont bash lower ratings so much, Lower ratings help me over in USACI. Thats the first thing i look for is a quality amp with a low 4ohm rating that puts out the true power that I'm looking for.

#strugglesofUSACI

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

And about the more than you pay for, you are paying for what you get either way.

A big contender in the under rating would be CT Sounds. I am in No way saying that they make bad amplifiers, just why not rate them at the power that they do instead of having a 4k possible amp rated at 2.5k or whatever.

Dont bash lower ratings so much, Lower ratings help me over in USACI. Thats the first thing i look for is a quality amp with a low 4ohm rating that puts out the true power that I'm looking for.

#strugglesofUSACI

Okay that I could understand. I just didn't think of it as I don't compete.

#CheaterAmps....

IMO yes people love to think they are getting more than what they pay for. What I see is great marketing by giving 12 volt ratings for the amp and calling it that .Then the amp makes more power with better electrical. It's actually brilliant marketing and its selling amps for sure. The amp dyno is all part of the hype of getting more than rated.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

well i mean think of it like car mile per gallon ratings

the product is advertised to do 30 mpg.

what if it does 40 mpg? people will love it.

what if it does 20 mpg? people will hate it.

if i bought a car that was like that id be pissed. if my product was advertised to deliver 30 mpg and i got 20 mpg i would feel like i had been lied to.

I think for amplifiers its the same way. Now of course quality, looks and reliability all play a role in how much i like the product but if that product doesn't do what it was advertised to do then its still a failure in my opinion.

But if i payed alot less for the car then i wouldnt really car as much. i wouldnt have expected something as good as it said it was.

Archived