Second Skin Audio

C2 Audio Team 1K 12 - aero port enclosure

TzA

I have 2x C2 Audio Team 1K 12's on order.

Am in the process of designing a box, but have a few questions as I have only built a few boxes in my time (and probably just got lucky that they got loud and sounded decent too..)

I want to use a single aero port rather than a slot port. I am new to aero ports and in my Google research i found that a single port is more efficient than multiple ports. Therefore, I would like to go with an 8" aero port. According to http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html, the length required for a 35 Hz tune is 22.79".

Going in a 2013 Kia Soul, I was thinking of SUBS facing UP and PORT to the SIDE.

I am thinking: 4.0 FT^3 @ 35 Hz w/ two steel rods and double baffle (for bracing) and a single 8" x 22.79" aero-port

Mainly I am trying to figure out if the aero port will be the correct length for a 4.0 cu. ft. (net) enclosure, or maybe a 6" would be better, i don't know.

Does anyone have any input on this design?

Any modification/enhancement suggestions are also appreciated!

I can attached a SketchUp if anyone wants to take a look-see - just let me know. (I do not have them stored on this computer, but can upload them later).

F O.

PSP does not make a 8" precision port you would need to find someone who does or make your own.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

PSP does not make a 8" precision port you would need to find someone who does or make your own.

Right, I wouldn't be buying from them. Found a guy on another forum that makes 8"ers. OR I will make my own. Point being, i only used that site for the calculator tool.

F O.

aero port rule of thumb is 9-12 sq in of port per foot

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

aero port rule of thumb is 9-12 sq in of port per foot

ok, so that's where my lack of math skills comes into play...

To clarify, you are saying I need 9-12 sq in of port per cubic foot of the box, or length of the port?

F O.

Per cube is a crap general rule. It was at one point relevant when subs didn't have insane X-max's, but with modern subs you need to actually do the forsaken, math.

You can find the formulas or you can just use the calculator for a less accurate answer.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Just make sure when you are figuring the length of X port area that you don't exceed 1/12 of the length of the wave you are trying to tune to. When you exceed this the air inside of the port it no longer acts as a single mass.

*Port area calculations will only be within +10% of the needed area, as said by the creator of the formula himself. This man also happens to be Richard Small one of the two who created T/S parameters that are used for any modern speaker parameter.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Per cube is a crap general rule. It was at one point relevant when subs didn't have insane X-max's, but with modern subs you need to actually do the forsaken, math.

You can find the formulas or you can just use the calculator for a less accurate answer.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Just make sure when you are figuring the length of X port area that you don't exceed 1/12 of the length of the wave you are trying to tune to. When you exceed this the air inside of the port it no longer acts as a single mass.

*Port area calculations will only be within +10% of the needed area, as said by the creator of the formula himself. This man also happens to be Richard Small one of the two who created T/S parameters that are used for any modern speaker parameter.

That's amazing, and much appreciated

F O.

Archived