Be Careful of Subjectivity

Just a quick funny that I came across.

In 1903, Rene Blondlot, a respected French physicist, claimed to have discovered a new form of radiation he called ‘ N-rays ’ . (This was shortly after the discovery of X-rays by Roentgen, so rays were in the air, as it were.) This invisible radiation was apparently mysteriously refracted by aluminum prisms; but the crucial factor was that its presence could only be shown by subjective assessment of the brightness of an electric arc allegedly affected by N-rays. No objective measurement appeared to be possible. To Blondlot, and at least 14 of his professional colleagues, the subtle changes in brightness were real, and the French Academy published more than 100 papers on the subject.

Unfortunately N-rays were completely imaginary, a product of the ‘ experimenter-expectancy effect. This was demonstrated by American scientist Robert Wood, who quietly pocketed the aluminum prism during a demonstration, without affecting Bondlot’s recital of the results. After this the N-ray industry collapsed very quickly, and while it was a major embarrassment at the time, it is now almost forgotten.

The conclusion is inescapable that it is quite possible for large numbers of sincere people to deceive themselves when dealing with subjective assessments of phenomena.

That shows you that you have to be very cautious when you view another person's testing, and that just because there is a following behind them doesn't mean it is true or even exists.

Link to Douglas Self's book, Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Power-Amplifier-Design-Handbook/dp/0240521625

Edit: Fixes link to the book.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Exactly why I heed all advice with skepticism, always. I would rather see for myself than take any word for granted.

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

Put another way, I regard all "fact" as total and complete BS unless it can be independently and objectively verified.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

This also comes back to one of my favorite quotes "even tests that do not bear fruit, can still yield new ideas."

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived