Second Skin Audio

Need advise

YukonDCXL

I'd build a new box, maybe a 4th order or 6th order depending on how much space you have. If you are still not satisfied with the output of your system then I'd look into a different setup. New box will be the cheapest and quickest thing you can do.

Sorry Will I did not receive it but probably my emails program fault. Joex wanted me to even go bigger if I had the space which I did not really understand.

Would you still go 11 cubes even tho I am pushing over rated power?

Will, Maybe it was not me because this is what I sent you.

My box

Fb = 33 Hz
Vb = 12.4 ft^3

External Height = 26 in
External Width = 49 in
External Depth = 27.5 in

Port Width = 35 1/2 in
Port Height = 6 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 49 x 27 1/2

Left & Right Sides = 26 x 23 3/4

Front & Back = 49 x 23 3/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 20 x 37

Port Left Side Assembly:
20 x 6
6 3/4 x 6
Port Right Side Assembly:
20 x 6
6 3/4 x 6

yes whenever you are over powering you need to start shrinking enclosure size to help control the subs back pressure and keep the driver within its mechanical limits, if someone wanted you to go bigger the recommended especially with dc subs i would not trust them to design an enclosure for me

Getting a significant increase in output requires either a big increase in power (like twice as much) or a big increase in efficiency. Doesn't sound like you want to change your power situation. To get a big increase in efficiency you are either going to need to increase your cone area quite a bit and make some big improvements to your box. The problem is if your box is already pretty decently designed, there may not be a ton of room for improvement. Swapping out your current pair of 18"s for a different pair of 18"s is unlikely to do much for you either. If you got the space a big increase in cone area with a well designed box is probably going to be your best bet.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Sorry Will I did not receive it but probably my emails program fault. Joex wanted me to even go bigger if I had the space which I did not really understand.

Would you still go 11 cubes even tho I am pushing over rated power?

yes whenever you are over powering you need to start shrinking enclosure size to help control the subs back pressure and keep the driver within its mechanical limits, if someone wanted you to go bigger the recommended especially with dc subs i would not trust them to design an enclosure for me

YukonDCXL I have just re-read the chat we had and I realize I misread your post and assumed it was a single 3.5K to the pair not to each driver. Although I never issued a design for you I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part.

I dont know if you have experimented with higher tuning, normally guys wanting to get louder on a given setup go for mid to higher 30s.

Getting a significant increase in output requires either a big increase in power (like twice as much) or a big increase in efficiency. Doesn't sound like you want to change your power situation. To get a big increase in efficiency you are either going to need to increase your cone area quite a bit and make some big improvements to your box. The problem is if your box is already pretty decently designed, there may not be a ton of room for improvement. Swapping out your current pair of 18"s for a different pair of 18"s is unlikely to do much for you either. If you got the space a big increase in cone area with a well designed box is probably going to be your best bet.

Wall, wall.

JoeX, your redesign you gave me for my current box is great and I appreciate all the help and time you spent with me. I have decided not to change this box at all and only rebuild if I change subs or add subs. Thanks again

Archived