Half-DIN EQ with HPF or separate sub input

I am looking for an inexpensive half-DIN EQ. I would like it to either have an adjustable HPF for my mids and highs, or a separate sub input so I can use my deck's built-in HPF. I would like a sub volume knob as well. What would you guys recommend?

Quick recap of criteria:

-MUST BE HALF-DIN (I had a cheap 1/2 DIN EQ that I installed in my car so I will be direct-swapping)

-Built-in HPF OR a way to use the HU's built-in HPF

-Sub level knob

-Preferably graphic, but I could probably adjust to a parametric after a while

I'm not concerned with output volts really, just looking for more adjustment than low/mid/high.

I have some ideas that I was looking at, I will post them up here. None meet all my criteria but I think I could figure something out, i.e. not running sub signal through the EQ, making size adapters, whatever.

I would like to pay less than these but I guess you can't win them all.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12431_...tik+DG-7Q.html#

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_475_Ke...KGC-4042A.html#

If anyone has any other suggestions I will listen to them. Another idea I literally had just as typing this was to maybe make some passive crossovers for the mids and highs, but I would need some major assistance in even planning such an endeavor. Or if I can just buy an Xover for cheap, I may use a Clarion EQ or something like that. I would like to pay less than $100 total and this is long-term planning so any limited-time offer stuff won't help me much probably.

Thanks in advance,

-Austin

Too many projects, too little time...

Could I use this and then run the signals through a cheap xover? I don't want to blow $150+ on one since I have kinda crummy amps, but I don't want it to suck. I am only running 2 mid/high channels and the subs for now, planning to upgrade to 4 in the nearish future.

I would wait on the xover then because you can, on most headunits, control that type of thing.

once you get the 4 channel it will be butter just hook up the crossovers that came with the speakers and you'll be good to go.

trust me you will notice a difference with the EQ I guarantee it or your money back :D

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

I had a cheap EQ so I know a little bit of the difference it makes, but my problem is that the only HPF setting on my amp is 80Hz which I think is a lot low for 5 1/4 coaxials, and if I use the front-out on the HU to hook up the EQ I would think any HPF used on the HU would mean no bass. So I was thinking the front out full-pass'd to the EQ, then run all the outputs from the EQ to the xover, and then to the amps. I guess the sub amp doesn't need it since it has an adjustable LPF, but I like some redundancy in filters in case one randomly acts up.

EDIT for clarification.

Edited by ktownsdriftking

honestly I think you are over thinking it.

I have mine set to 80 hz right now and it balances it out very well but then again that could depend on the difference in comp sets.

I had it on 120hz and there was some bass.

I understand what path you want to take but I would wait until you get an amp to start doing all that.

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

My concern isn't balance, it's not killing my doors. They seem to not like anything below like 100Hz, and right now they are set at 120Hz. Midbass is not there at all but that will be attended to down the road. They are run off a cruddy Sony 2-channel that I have now, which has 80hz high-or-low pass on it. The 4-channel I would probably buy has the same.

But you think I would be fine without a xover? I mean, I don't think they're going to die, but it doesn't sound too great down that low (maybe door resonance if I'm lucky, Idunno...)

Then again (DUH!) I could just buy the EQ and see if it sounds alright without the xover lol. Why I didn't think of that is beyond me.