Sundown Audio

Gain with MM

Alex K

So using this chart in the sticky, I'm running a Kicker zx750.1 with 2 12" cvrs at 2 ohms. According to the chart, the output to the subs should be 38.73 volts correct? Or should I go by the number kicker gave me on my certificate in the box, which was 939 watts, which would be about 43 volts.

Here's the chart if anyone would like to look

RMSchart.jpg

Thanks in advance

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

id do the 750 rms, just to make sure you arent clipping.

the only true way to do it is an oscope!!!

once you use one, youll never wanna use a DMM again!! the key is to see what output voltage the wave goes square at. if you do 43 volts whos to say you dont start clipping @ 40volts ..?

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

id do the 750 rms, just to make sure you arent clipping.

the only true way to do it is an oscope!!!

once you use one, youll never wanna use a DMM again!! the key is to see what output voltage the wave goes square at. if you do 43 volts whos to say you dont start clipping @ 40volts ..?

i like using my dmm a lot more than my oscope lol. i found out the dmm voltage setting was perfect, just shy of clipping so i figure there is no point to bust out the big thing. they do tell you for sure though, and that is nice.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

i like using my dmm a lot more than my oscope lol. i found out the dmm voltage setting was perfect, just shy of clipping so i figure there is no point to bust out the big thing. they do tell you for sure though, and that is nice.

well, if you know what voltage you start clipping at, then there is no need for the oscope, but he has no clue

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

i just used the formula, square root of wattage x resistance = output voltage ac.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

So I should use the 750 on the chart and set the gains at 38.73 correct?

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

i just used the formula, square root of wattage x resistance = output voltage ac.

i used that formula for my 1500 watt amp at 2 ohm and got 77 something. the chart says 54.77? did i miss something?

sq rt 1500 = ~38.73 then multiply by 2 ohm = ~77.46

just realized on chart that 77.46 is good for 1500 watts at 4 ohm

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

i used that formula for my 1500 watt amp at 2 ohm and got 77 something. the chart says 54.77? did i miss something?

sq rt 1500 = ~38.73 then multiply by 2 ohm = ~77.46

just realized on chart that 77.46 is good for 1500 watts at 4 ohm

sq root of 750 = 27.38 x2 ohms = 54.77 volts. Correct?

Just realized they have 54.77 at 750 @ 4ohms.. lol.

Just realized again you had a "just realized" in your post too. So would I want to run the original 38.73?

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

ya thats what the math comes out to according to his formula but the chart says different. im in the same boat as you man. cant afford a oscope but have a vmm. i dont know if i should trust the chart or the formula. really dont wanna smoke my 15s. too damn expensive haha

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

Archived