Second Skin Audio

fire port into cabin or trunk..?

chapo123

alright i know this is a noob question but at the same time its not. its a 18" fi btl in a sub up port back box (yet to be built) now should i fire the port into the cabiin or trunk? i wish i could face it foward and seal it off but my trunk is like 14.5tall.. so sub up either way.. i konw everyone says to face it foward and seal from trunk but i wouldnt seal it off because the sub would still be in the trunk.. and i dont plan on getting deadner soon but every one says its louder if it loads off the trunk but wouldnt the flex and rattling kill my deebeez? i want to move alot of air so its gonna be tuned to 33hz.. would it feel like it moves more air facing into the cabin? or the trunk? and its going to be a kerfed port btw which would be loduer..? i hope this makes sense..

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

because i know firing back is going to get a shit ton of rattle/flex

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

well either way will work, but if you fire the port into the cab you will need to seal off the box from the trunk so that no sound waves or air moves behind the box itself. but if you fire the port towards the back then you will need to deadend the trunk because of its easy flex. It makes a big difference , i have 2 12's and when i had it installed without the mat, it was loud, but couldn't feel the bass, after the mat was installed, it made a world of difference in the lows, cabin flex, and loudness. The choice is yours..

if its not sealed, sub forward port forward.... then face the port to the trunk. either way your trunk will rattle... either plan on getting some deadener or use some cheap stuff.. like expanding foam in the gaps on your trunk lid.. it should help alittle... but better then none.... just be aware that a kerf port can affect your tuning...

My first truck... My first Real build...

*Update 8/9/10 DC Power 270xp Alt is In!!!*

1997 Toyota T-100 DC Level 5 18" in a T-line

Everybody wants their system to be....

1. Cheap

2. Reliable

3. Loud

...you can only pick two.

micahmye hertz pack

well either way will work, but if you fire the port into the cab you will need to seal off the box from the trunk so that no sound waves or air moves behind the box itself. but if you fire the port towards the back then you will need to deadend the trunk because of its easy flex. It makes a big difference , i have 2 12's and when i had it installed without the mat, it was loud, but couldn't feel the bass, after the mat was installed, it made a world of difference in the lows, cabin flex, and loudness. The choice is yours..

if its not sealed, sub forward port forward.... then face the port to the trunk. either way your trunk will rattle... either plan on getting some deadener or use some cheap stuff.. like expanding foam in the gaps on your trunk lid.. it should help alittle... but better then none.... just be aware that a kerf port can affect your tuning...

lol didnt yoiu read? i cant face foward or back. sub HAS to be up.. i want to point foward but cant seal it off because the sub would still be in the trunk... and fox was it about the same in loud ness?

1j1450.png

lol didnt yoiu read? i cant face foward or back. sub HAS to be up.. i want to point foward but cant seal it off because the sub would still be in the trunk... and fox was it about the same in loud ness?

I assume you've already checked but is there enough room to angle the front baffle some to fire the sub and port forward and then seal it off?

pgsig.png

nope.. but even if it did the sub would basically be pointing up anyway.. soo lol

1j1450.png

Check your trunk again if you haven't checked it like 30 thousand times already, in my trunk the beginning is 15 inches tall, obviously not big enough for an 18, but three inches after that it shoots to ~19 inches, which is perfect for a 17 inch baffle to fit a 16.75 inch hole on, plus the two top and bottom boards. I had to build inside of my trunk, but it was worth it since I can fit the 18 in there. otherwise I would try the angle suggestion, because something like half of your bass still comes from the front of your sub, which means you'd be losing sound and turning your trunk into a rattle trap.

Start out boxy, shape as you move along.

Dc Audio

Team Fur

id rather not build in trunk because this is a temp setup until i get my hatchback then im building it in there with like 8 cubes. this is just to have beat for the mean time

1j1450.png

Archived